Thursday, September 13, 2012

DIY With Star: Glass Etching

I recently discovered the wonderful world of glass etching and can't wait to share it with you! Glass etching is unbelievably easy and surprisingly fast.  It is done using a stencil with an adhesive back and Armour Etch, a fast acting glass etching solution that allows you to create permanently etched designs on glass items such as mirrors, windows, and household glassware.  This stuff is pretty amazing!  I was unsure if my finished product would compare to the professionally etched products I've seen at high end home retailers like William Sonoma, but I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  I think the quality of the wine glass I etched is comparable.  I had considered ordering monogrammed wine glasses when my husband and I got married, but decided against it due to the high price tag ($50 for a set of two).  Now I plan to purchase a set of inexpensive wine glasses and create my own monogrammed glasses for a fraction of the price!

What I love about glass etching is that it allows you to make use of the odd glass, candle holder, or dish sitting around your home (now I can actually do something with all of the wine glasses I've collected from wine tasting over the years that are just sitting in my garage)!  I also love that there are very few supplies required to complete this project.

Supplies:

-Contact paper or vinyl
-A small paint brush
-Armour Etch (I purchased mine from Amazon, but I'm sure it is available at your local craft store)
-A glass item (I used an old wine glass)
-A stencil with an adhesive back*  (I used an "H" for my last name, "Hansen")
*I used my Cricut (an electronic craft cutter) to cut my images but if you don't have one you can trace an image on the contact paper or vinyl and cut it out with an exacto/utility knife.  If you don't have an electronic cutter, I'd be happy to direct you to my Etsy shop where you can purchase a custom adhesive back stencil.  The negative space on the stencil is where the etching will occur.
Directions:

1. Peel away the adhesive backing and stick it to the glass.  Notice, the negative space is where the etching will occur.
2.  Press the stencil down firmly to remove any air bubbles.
3.  Paint a thick, even layer of Armour Etch on the negative space of the stencil.
4.  Ensure it is covered evenly and leave on for approximately 10 minutes.  Make sure it doesn't drip off the side of the stencil as the Armour Etch will etch any drips as well.
5.  After approximately 10 minutes, was the Armour Etch off with water (leaving the stencil attached).  Once all of the Armour Etch is rinsed off, remove the stencil and wash the item with soap and water.



Viola!!



I'm not sure that my photography does this beautiful glass justice!  Keep in mind, this etching is permanent and can't be washed off, so etch carefully :)  I had so much fun making this glass I searched my house for other glassware I could etch.
I'm planning to pare this etched Mr. & Mrs. wine glass set with a delicious bottle of wine for my newly engaged friends.





You could etch "Mr"/"Mrs" or "I Do"/"Me Too" on Champagne flutes and use them at your wedding.  They would be beautiful one-of-a-kind keepsakes and they cost much less than the designer ones people often register for.  If you and your fiance are not big Champagne or wine drinkers, try etching on cocktail glasses, martini glasses or even beer mugs.  It would also be cute to etch "Husband"/"Wife" on glass coffee mugs that can be used by the happy couple the morning after their wedding.
I etched "Mocktail" on a glass for my pregnant friend who often mixes sparkling water with juice when people around her are drinking cocktails.  Now she will have her own special glass and won't have to feel left out!  By the way, isn't the font adorable?!
I etched our last name on one of my baking dishes... I may have to do this with my whole set of glass bakeware!



You could etch a set of bakeware or mixing bowls with a couple's last name and give it to them (along with your favorite recipe) as a wedding or shower gift.  It would also be cute to etch "flour", "sugar", etc. on glass canisters!

Think of the great personalized gifts you could make!  What will you etch?!

Happy Crafting,

Star


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Now even its too early I have cool and nice idea when to my glass on my wedding day and that would be using an etched glass. Thanks for this valuable info!

    ReplyDelete