Sunday, November 11, 2012

Star's Favorite Sweets: Scrumptious Shortbread Cookies

It has finally started to feel like fall in So Cal and this weather puts me in the baking mood.  There are tons of new cookie recipes I am dying to try but I haven't had the chance to run to the store to buy the various ingredients.  So, on this crisp fall morning I decided to bake one of my most favorite old faithful cookies, shortbread.  I always have all of the ingredients for these cookies so they are the perfect treat to whip up when the urge strikes.  A friend of mine gave me this recipe a few years ago and it is so good, I've tossed all of my other shortbread recipes.  It is beyond simple (only four ingredients!!) and I bet you have all of them on hand on any given day.

I know you are probably thinking, "Shortbread?  Boring!" and I would have agreed with you until I tried this recipe.  It is honestly, simply perfect!  I've toyed with the idea of dipping these cookies in chocolate, but I've always opted against it... not because I don't think it would be delicious, but because I think they are absolutely perfect just the way they are!


This recipe is for a small batch and only makes about eight cookies (depending how how you cut them), but you can easily double the recipe if you need cookies for a larger crowd.  I always bring these cookies to the annual holiday cookie exchange my friends and I do and I've also made them for various other events.  They are perfect for showers and parties because they can be made a few days in advance and are pretty hardy and easily transported.

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick of cold butter cut into cubes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
extra sugar and/or edible glitter to sprinkle over the top after the shortbread has baked

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.  The dough will look and feel powdery and not doughy at all.  Pour the dough into a pie pan (or small square pan if you prefer square cookies) and press it until it is compact and flat.
In an oven that has been preheated to 325 degrees, bake the shortbread for 25-30 minutes or until it has just started to brown a bit.  I prefer my shortbread soft so I watch for the browned edges then quickly remove the pan from the oven.  As soon as the shortbread is out of the oven sprinkle it with sugar.  I also love to sprinkle my shortbread with clear edible glitter which I purchased from my local cake shop.


The shortbread is delicious with just plain sugar, but who doesn't love a little bling on their cookie?!  And believe me, offering your guests a glittery piece of shortbread will wow them and have them asking "is that glitter on the cookies?!"  So pretty and unexpected, especially during the holidays!  I am sorry that it is difficult to see the glitter on the cookies in these photos.

Once the shortbread has cooled for a few minutes cut into it like you would a pie and you'll have adorable little triangular cookies.  Note - you must cut into these while they are still warm.  If you cut into them when they have cooled they will crack and break apart.


These cookies pair perfectly with English style tea which is how I enjoyed mine on this blustery morning.  Such a delicious pairing and the perfect fall treat!
Happy baking!

-Star

No comments:

Post a Comment