Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Featured Events: Herbalife's Green and White Gala PART 2 - The Concept

Most events of this caliber could take over a year to produce to perfection. Somehow we managed to pull it off in under four months and it all began with a concept.

It was Herbalife's 30th Anniversary and there were events globally to celebrate such a big year. The perfect venue had to accommodate the event's size and be central to downtown Los Angeles, yet also provide a blank canvas for us to produce an event designed to impress.
 
After scouting for several months, the California Science Center was chosen to be the perfect backdrop for this black tie affair. The one-of-a-kind venue offered a dramatic setting filled with interesting exhibits, science & nature, plus a significant amount of open space to create. With multiple wings, a ballroom and several levels, we knew designing a variety of spaces would be crucial.


To find my inspiration for the concept, I found myself visiting the California Science Center multiple times and spending hours walking the space to brainstorm. After about a week, since time was extremely limited, I decided to emphasize the nature aspect of the center. There is a brand new wing called Ecosystems which focuses on various environments and there's also an entire outdoor area attached filled with greenery, which in the future will become an even greener forest for visitors. As I combed the exhibits and multiple spaces, the concept became clear. I would design the event to bring the outdoors in using trees and plants, letting the science aspect rely on the exhibits. Because this was an elegant gala, it was important to also bring the glamor and drama to the design.

This gala would be an enchanted forest with modern elements that brought in a degree of grandness and whimsical designs. It would be stunning with chandeliers, crystals, a massive amount of glass and at the same time, I would contrast it with trees, branches and moss.

I worked side by side with each of my decor vendors including Shawna Yamamoto on the floral design and installations, Rick Barton with regard to lighting, Dahlia Wexler on linens, Ruth Bubba on all stationary, Carol Saunders on signage and so many more. Even the ever so patient Bryan Phelps at Classic Party Rentals played a crucial role in assisting me with getting everything just right for our 48 pages of rentals.

Once the concept and design was developed, I assembled a packet which described each space down to the very last detail. These are always beyond helpful not only for my client but also our internal team and my vendors. I then brought in Kelli Manthei, my artist extraordinaire, to work with me in transforming my vision into an illustration I could provide my client with.
Here are the sketches we created to help paint the picture and transition us to the next stage. I always find renderings for events of this size and importance to be a necessity. Everyone knows I'm details obsessed and typically I do a very thorough job in describing everything and usually more, in my packets but visuals always do a little more than even my descriptive words can do.

Check out these amazing illustrations sketching out elements from each space for the this event...

The Grand Entrance



The Main Floor


The Loker Conference Room
 


The Latin Lounge

 
Check in tomorrow as we focus on the delicious food and beverage for this very special event. This will be one post you won't want to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment