Friday, November 25, 2011

Star's Favorite Things: Holiday Cocktail "Eggnog-Arita"


Hello everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are enjoying precious time with family and friends.  Well, it's Black Friday and after all that shopping I bet you could use a cocktail!  I know I sure could, but that is something I’ll have to skip until the bun is out of the oven.  As I’ve mentioned, I subscribe to a number of food magazines and although they all have listed recipes for holiday cocktails, one in particular caught my eye.  Food Network Magazine’s “Eggnog-Arita” created by Elizabeth Falkner.  Out of the entire bunch, this is the one I really wish I could try!  I love homemade Egg Nog (not the stuff from a carton), the real thing!  This looks like an amazing recipe for a twist on the old classic, and oh so pretty.  Please try this holiday cocktail and let me know how it is so I can live vicariously through you J

Photo courtesy of Food Network

EGGNOG-ARITAS
MAKES: 8 drinks

FOR THE CREAM ANGLAISE
2 cups half-and-half
½ whole nutmeg, crushed with a heavy pan
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
6 large egg yolks
½ cup sugar

FOR THE COCKTAILS
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 ounces brandy
2 ounces rum
2 ounces burbon

1.     Make the crème anglaise: Combine the half-and-half, crushed nutmeg, and vanilla pod and seeds in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium heat.  Remove the heat and let steep 5 minutes.
2.     Wisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.  Slowly whisk in the warm half-and-half mixture, then pour the egg mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the crème anglaise just begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.  Strain and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours.
3.     Make the cocktails: Combine the sugar and grated nutmeg on a plate.  Dip the rims of 8 cocktails in water, then the sugar mixture.  Combine half each the crème anglaise, brandy, rum and bourbon in a cocktail shaker with ice.  Shake well and strain into 4 glasses.  Repeat to make 4 more cocktails.
  
      Happy Holidays,
                Star

No comments:

Post a Comment